All popular posts

  • carboplatin/ Paclitaxel

    Hi Claire,


    My treatment regime included carboplatin/paclitaxel and whilst I didn't have the symptoms that you describe, I did have others... fatigue being the most prominent one.  As every person is different and responds to treatment in different ways, I guess it's safe to say I was one of the fortunate ones.


    Have you spoken to your medical team about what you are experiencing?  It can take quite a bit of time for the drugs to leave your system (again, everyone is different.) I still get chemo brain occasionally and it has been almost 4 years since I finished chemo!! But it may well be that your symptoms are being caused by something other than the chemo.


    I hope you get the answers you need soon and that the pain you are experiencing lessens each day.


    Take care,


    Karen


     

    Sassy_biker
  • From public to private and back again?

    Hi all,


    Wondering if anyone has any experience of going from treatmeant at a public hospital (e.g. Peter Mac), then getting surgery done privately (to avoid longer wait times publically), then going back to public for ongoing treatment? Would the public doctors have a problem with this?


    A bit of background: my mum was diagnosed with 3C OvC in June 2017, received carbo/taxol chemo and had debulking surgery (went from CA125 in the 3000s to single digits), then recurred with spots on the liver after only 5 months NED. Since recurring, she's had tamoxifen and then participated in a Durvalumab (immunotherapy) trial. On scans it appears that the cancer hasn't spread anywhere except for the liver, but there is a new spot on the liver so she has been kicked off the trial. Since it's been over a year with minimal spread they're willing to consider surgery to remove the liver spots, which mum is very keen to do. Everything in the public system seems to be going super slowly lately and she hasnt had any treatment since early June. They still haven't made a surgery date despite agreeing to it weeks ago, nor have they agreed to or put her on any alternative treatment in the interim.


    We're super keen to get her some treatment asap, which is why we're investigating getting the surgery done privately. Just not sure if that will cause issues with her treatment at her private hospital down the line. If you've had experience with this kind of thing please let me know. Any experience of advice would be most welcome as we're getting pretty anxious to make a move. Thank you!