Intraperitoneal chemo

Hi folks,

I'm recently diagnosed with high grade serous OC (stage 3) and bounced back pretty well after a radical hysterectomy 5 weeks ago. I've been identified as a good candidate for intraperitoneal chemo, so a port was fitted last week in preparation for chemo commencing this week.

The port is really uncomfortable and it feels like I've gone backwards in my recovery from surgery. What was supposed to be a simple procedure has put me back a few steps. I can't wear an underwired bra without discomfort.

Interested to hear from others re this and more generally experiences with IP delivered Cisplatin.  Similar problems and suggested solutions?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Meredith

I'm glad your initial recovery from surgery went well. I can't offer anything re the chemo but I am sure others here can.

Best wishes

Rachel

• Hi Meredith,

Am sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time at the moment.  It can be very frustrating when you feel as though you were progressing well, only to have something knock you back.

I'd not heard of Intraperitoneal chemo until reading your post, so unfortunately I'm not able to offer any insights, though having read a little about it now, I would be interested in knowing how yourself and others fair from receiving treatment in this way. (I received my chemo via a port in my arm.)

Wishing you all the best for your upcoming treatment and beyond.

Karen

• Hi Meredith,

I'm on Cisplatin at the moment but it's not delivered IP.  My side effects haven't been too bad.  My hair has thinned, fortunately I have a lot.  I don't have any problems with nausea but I need to remember to eat regularly or I'll suddenly feel sick from hunger. I no longer have an appetite, this is the second time I've been on this drug so I haven't had an appetite for 2 years.  I get muscular aches and my skin hurts for a few days after treatment.  My face is a bit puffer than normal but that could be caused by the steroids.  And then there is the usual tiredness and problems getting my bowel to work properly.

Compared to other chemo drugs, this one isn't too bad when delivered through IV.  Hopefully this has helped and you don't have too many side effects.

Good luck!

Nikki

• I had chemo via port. The week after carbo was bad, but then the next 2 weeks were manageable. I only did 3 cycles though so doing 6 would be tough. But then we are tougher ?

• Hi

How are you going on the IP chemo? I wonder if it settled down for yoy?

It isn't offered very often and mostly to first timers.

I'm considering requesting it.

Kind Regards

Megan

• Hi

How are you going on the IP chemo? I wonder if it settled down for you?

It isn't offered very often and mostly to first timers.

I'm considering requesting it.

Kind Regards

Megan