About Me :(

Hi Everyone,

My name is Renee.  I was diagnosed with Stage 3 ovarian cancer in 2015.  I carry the BRCA1 mutation.  I was NED (no evidence of disease) for a year and now it has returned in various spots throughout my abdomen.  Too small to do surgery on.  I was offered chemo and then olaparib, but I have instead decided to start a new trial which uses immunotherapy and a PARP inhibitor.  I'm scare and hesitant, but hoping this may work and therefore be of help to others of you out there.

Unfortunately cancer has left me very depressed, lonely and angry.  Both of which I am being treated for.  I have a gorgeous 5 year old son who is my only light in this darkness called cancer.  If I did not have him in my life I dare say I would let this cancer get me, but my boy needs his mum.  Every day is a struggle and I hate it.

Ren

Comments

• Hi Ren,

Like you I’m going through this with a young son. Mine will be 7 soon!  I was diagnosed when I had him.  My goal was to see him start school and he has almost finished year 1.  I’ve just finished my 4th lot of chemo. Again, like you, it was a sprinkling of small inoperable spots. Hopefully we got it this time.

As a Mum of a small child you can feel isolated, angry, frustrated and for me worst of all, is the feeling that I’ve let him down. I can’t be ‘big fun’ because I’m always sick.  On the positive side he is a very caring little boy who looks after his mum just like your little boy is.

Nikki

• Hi Nikki,

So nice to hear from you and find someone who understands.  I also feel like I have let him down as like you I can't be 'big fun' either.  I also worry that his childhood is spent worrying about his mumma and that he is growing up way too quickly.   But you are right he is the most caring and compassionate little boy.  At least I got something right, lol.

Where are you located Nikki?

Ren

• Hi Ren,

I’m in northern NSW about 1hr 45min north of Tamworth.  When I was first diagnosed I was at Coffs Harbour and like you I was treated for depression. When I finished treatment I ended up moving back in with my parents for a while to get back on my feet and 6 years later it was the best thing I could have done.

Where are you?

Nikki

• Hi Nikki,

I'm in Newcastle.  I also have just moved in with my mother, but hoping to get a place on my own once I know what my health is doing.  Start my trial tomorrow.  Getting a bit anxious.

Ren

• Hi Ren,

I was just diagnosed this February with Stage 4 ovarian cancer - UGH !!

I am on a trial of Veliparib (from all the side affects I've had, they are sure I'm not on the Placebo)

Is this the same as you were offered called Olaparib ??

I was on the max of 4 x 100mg twice a day but because of the side affects I was having they've (Peter Mac, Melbourne) have reduced me to 3 x 100mg twice daily

I have lots of side affects - low grade nausea (eased by Maxalon), depression, sleeplessness, neuropathy in feet (continued on and maybe worse since finished chemo).  My depression (I call it sadness) has eased since Peter Mac have reduced my dose

I will stay on the trail for now, as tomorrow I have my 18 week post surgery CT to see where I'm at.

But, I def. want quality of life over quantity.   I'm very happy to cease my trial if I don't see a better quality of life.

But I have my appointment next week with Oncologist to discuss all this

Cheers to you both

Rhonda

• Hi Ren,

Keep us posted about your trial.  My doctor has tried to find one for me but I never seem to meet the criteria for them.  Try not to get too anxious. The way I look at treatment is you are actively killing evil cells!  Hope it doesn’t knock you around too much.

Good luck!

Nikki