I am Elaine and I need to live

my name is Elaine, I have stage 3 ovarian cancer diagnosed september 2016. currently undergoing my third type of chemo. I wish to live another 20 years because firstly I have a 20 month old grand daughter, I wish to out live my father who passed at 77 years and I simply want to prove doctors wrong. I do not want to die from this cancer!

Comments

• Hi Elaine,

Welcome to the forum!

I was diagnosed back in 2014 and although I did not have stage 3, I am still very much alive!  I run a support group for those touched by ovarian cancer in my town and I can tell you that there are a number of women who have been living with this disease for many, many years.  I met one lady who was 84 years old and was diagnosed more than 50 years ago and is still with us to tell the story.  I also know others who are much younger and have been living with the disease for more than 5 years.

If I can give you one piece of advice, don’t look at the statistics!!  They only show the negative results.  There’s no stats about the positives. It’s also important to remember that every woman’s experience of this disease is different and that new options for treatment (trials) are always an option too!

Personally, I think having a positive attitude is key.  Sure, it will get you down every now and then, but with a 20 month old grand daughter to keep you on your toes and to remind you of all you have to live for, you will be able to cope with whatever comes your way.

I hope that helps a little.

Take care of you!

Karen

• thank you Karen.  it has been a while since my last post. mainly because  while I know my cancer is not curable, I feel like I need to live not only because I want to, because of my Grand daughter turning 2 this coming feb 14, but I need to raise awareness for all females in the future to have the right to have their ovaries and all reproductive organs removed should it become a medical necessity.  had mine been removed in 1989, I doubt I would now have stage 3 C cancer. I will do all within my power, what little I have, to change our rights

• Hi

My name is Leonie. I was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer in May 2016. I initially did really well post chemo and surgery but had a reaccurance in july 2017. I've just finished chemo again and having a 2 mth break (hopefully longer) to see what happens. Feeling well but a little lost...