I need to live

I would like to know more about women like myself who have stage 3 and have lived longer than the first told 2 to 5 years. I want and expect to live another 20 years because I want to prove doctors wrong and my grand daughter is now 20 months old

Comments

• Hi ecraftybean,

Welcome to the forum!

I was diagnosed back in 2014 and although I did not have stage 3, I am still very much alive!  I run a support group for those touched by ovarian cancer in my town and I can tell you that there are a number of women who have been living with this disease for many, many years.  I met one lady who was 84 years old and was diagnosed more than 50 years ago and is still with us to tell the story.  I also know others who are much younger and have been living with the disease for more than 5 years.

If I can give you one piece of advice, don't look at the statistics!!  They only show the negative results.  There's no stats about the positives. It's also important to remember that every woman's experience of this disease is different and that new options for treatment (trials) are always an option too!

Personally, I think having a positive attitude is key.  Sure, it will get you down every now and then, but with a 20 month old grand daughter to keep you on your toes and to remind you of all you have to live for, you will be able to cope with whatever comes your way.

I hope that helps a little.

Take care of you!

Karen

• My first diagnosis was in 2010.  Since the. I’ve had 4 recurrences, 1 round of radiation, 4 rounds of chemo and about 8 surgeries.  I have a 7 year old son and he keeps me going.  I hate having treatment but if it keeps me alive then that’s what I need to do.  Since being diagnosed I have a very different outlook on life.  I don’t stress about little things and now my family is the most important thing in my life.  You have come to the right place to share your experiences and vent about everything that is worrying you. We are here to listen and help.

Nikki

• Like Nikki, I was diagnosed a while ago and had surgery, a few lots of chemo and that has been over the last 5 years. It hasn't  been easy, however if you stay positive and look after yourself it is achievable. Fortunately they are doing lots of research, we just need to hang in there and they will come up with something to help us. Take care. Helen

• thank you to all who replied to my first post. without my Grand daughter Dzia  to live for, my other intention is to fight for Every woman to have the right to have their ovaries removed on request should the need a hysterectomy, also should they be past child bearing age and want to prevent this horrid cancer. I believe the woman's choice should over ride the doctor.

• Hi ecraftybean,

I was diagnosed in 2016 stage 3 OV, I had surgery, then chemo, so that there was no trace of the cancer, but last week I found out it has come back, I am so sad, I also intend to live for the next 20-30 years, I really am planning on it! Ros