Anyone had HIPEC?

edited November 2019 in Welcome & Orientation

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone here has had HIPEC Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy - hot chemo in the abdominal cavity) for OC that's spread?  I'll be having cytoreduction surgery and HIPEC at the Peter Mac sometime before the end of the year, and am wondering if anyone has tips for getting through it better, and for recovery?

Take care

Lucy

Comments

• Hi Lucy,

‘Haven’t had that one but my doctors have co side red it for me.  As for recovery, the best thing you can do after surgery is stand up straight and walk.  As soon as you can get out of that bed.  You will feel human and when you go for a little walk you can feel yourself heal.  Somewhere on this forum are my top 10 tips for surgery.

When it comes to chemo make sure you have something to do to keep you occupied. Get a colouring book or binge watch Game of Thrones.  My biggest problem when I finish chemo is that it takes ages for me to just stop and relax, I’m so used to not being able to do much when I’m on chemo that I go crazy and feel like I’m playing catch up and need to do everything at once.

Most importantly look after yourself and make sure you have people around who can help you.  Don’t forget that we are always here to help with advice and it’s also a good place to unload all your worries.

Nikki

• Thanks, Nikki - I'll be doing my damnedest to get up and walk around, and get my digestive system working again!

Take care

Lucy

• Hi Lucy

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnoses, it must be a difficult time for you. My boyfriend's sister was diagnosed in 2017.

I'm sorry I don't have a answer for you but was wondering if you could help with some information.

My boyfriend's sister has had treatment and it's been a year since treatment but we are now waiting on some tests. It's possible it has come back in the abdomen.

We ( the family) are doing some research and we have read about HIPEC.   I hope you don't mind me asking, who is your surgeon at Peter Mac. ?

I wish you good health.

Lina