Hello! I’m Julie.

edited November 2019 in Welcome & Orientation

Hi there.

I’m Julie and I’ve been diagnosed with Stage 2c ovarian cancer

It’s about three weeks since I made the appointment to see my GP, two weeks since I first spoke to the gynaecological oncologist and one week since my surgery. It’s weird how it’s all happening so fast, but some days seem so slow

Thankfully, the surgery went well, recovery has been mostly good and prognosis is positive. I’ll start chemo in a few weeks.

I’m 37 years old with two kids under 5. All my fears and concerns centre around them. So far, they’re coping well. We’ll just take each day as it comes and try to prepare them for the chemo journey ahead.

This website has been very useful and reading through your stories has been both informative and calming.

Thank you!

Comments

• Hello Julie,

Welcome!  I am sure you are feeling very overwhelmed with everything going on at the moment.  It's great that you were able to find this forum useful and more importantly, calming.

My situation was similar to yours, everything happened within a few weeks back in 2014 and I'm happy to say I am still doing okay following surgery and 18 weeks of chemo.

Please feel free to ask any questions, if I can't help, there are many other women that actively contribute to the forum who probably can.

In the meantime, take care and get plenty of rest... though having young children, I'm sure that's easier said than done!

Karen xx

• Thanks Karen. Glad to hear you are doing well. The kids have been great and are mostly letting me rest when I need to. They have been invited for play dates at almost every house in the suburb. :) Very grateful for so much support from our friends and neighbours.

I’m sure I’ll post again soon with some questions

• Hi Julie

Welcome to the forum. May I ask what led you to go to your GP, what symptoms did you notice?

Best wishes

Rachel

• Sure. I started having some abdominal pain and felt a solid mass in my tummy. I remarked to my husband that it felt like a baby's head or bottom. 

I was aware I'd been putting on weight, especially around my tummy, but didn't find this too unusual because I'd been on a very restricted diet while breast feeding and had also changed jobs recently and was now driving to work and sitting down more. 

So many of the symptoms feel very normal for a mum with young kids. Without the pain and feeling a lump, I wouldn't have gone to my GP. 

• Hi Julie,

Welcome to the forum. I can completely relate to your story. I too had very similar symptoms. I thought I was pregnant and did a home pregnancy test a couple of times (which were negative) despite knowing I couldn't be pregnant given my husband had had the snip. I had back pain and put this down to carrying my one year old around not too dissimilar to what you said in your post I put it down to being a mum of a very small child.

It's great that you went to see your GP. Have you had any news since your visit?