Newly diagnosed with stage 2 cancer

edited November 2019 in Welcome & Orientation

Hi lovely ladies, I've been recently diagnosed with 2b high grade serous ovarian cancer. The only symptom I had was severe abdominal bloating. The first time I experienced the bloating I went to a GP (not my regular GP because it was a public holiday and my regular GP was on holiday). The GP felt my stomach and told me it's just gas and it'll go away on its own. And after about 3 days it did go away.

But then I had the same pain 4 or 5 times after that. During this time I kept thinking it was something I'd eaten. Then my sister was getting married and I got busy. The last time it happened it was in the middle of the night and freaked out because this time I couldn't blame food allergies. I went to my regular GP who felt my stomach, sent me for urgent CT scan, blood test and ultrasound. Turns out I have a 12 cm complex cyst. I had surgery on 30 August 2018 to remove it. It's going to be 3 weeks on Thursday, 20 September 2018. I'm going to have my first chemo session on 21 September 2018. I'm a bit scared and I'm wondering how bad it'll be.

I'm 35 years old, no kids or partner. My mum and sister are my rock. I'd never had an operation in my life, and boom! The first operation I have is this one. Really sucks. But my doctors say they are looking to cure me. I'd be grateful to hear other people's experience with chemo. I'll be given 6 rounds of chemo, each session will be 3 weeks apart. The drugs I'll be given are called Paclitaxel and Carboplatin.

Comments

• Hi Sania,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we are so happy to see you have joined the forums. I was 33 when diagnosed and one thing medical professionals still say to me when they meet me is "wow, but you're so young!".

I had surgery and was given three rounds of chemo as treatment. My experience with chemo (in hindsight) was that it is sounds much worse than it really is. I was given medication to counter act the side effects and mostly felt okay. The difficulty for me was that it did take away my energy. I am now 2 years in remission and feeling healthy.

I too was scared and nervous about chemo before I started my treatments, which I am sure is pretty normal.

Please know that we are all here as a community to support you through this journey. Wishing you all the best!

Sirin