Positivity and hope for my mum! Recurrance, platinum resistant, starting Caelyx

edited November 2019 in Welcome & Orientation

Hi  I have joined this to see if anyone has had a similar experience to what my mum is going through since she was first diagnosed in December 2017. She is 71, has never smoked and has always led an extremely healthy lifestyle. She has Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer. She had a round of chemo, then debulking surgery, then another round of chemo that was stopped early (7 out of the intended 9) because she was having bad side effects of peripheral neuropathy and her marker had gone down to 15. At this point we felt like were really lucky and had a good result from treatment and hoped it wouldn't return. Unfortunately at her first 3 month test, her marker has gone up to 69 and their is a recurrence of cancer 2 lumps and speckled across  the peritoneal area. We were told this means she is platinum resistant. The oncologist says there are no trials currently open and he is looking into immunotherapy. But she will probably start Caelyx chemo if a few days.  Our oncologist always ers on the more grim side of things... I just want to find some hope!

I would really appreciate to hear back from anyone who has similar experience to my mum or anyone who has had Caelyx chemo and can give us some tips about what to expect

Thankyou

Comments

• Hi Maia,

So sorry to hear about your mum's recurrence. I personally have a different experience to your mum's but I am sure one of our lovely members will be able to relate more closely to her experience and support you with your questions. I just wanted to say hello and let you know your message has been seen by someone.

Please let me know if I can be of any further support to you.