Hi I'm Bec!

Hello everyone,

My 49 year old sister was diagnosed back in October last year. I just discovered the fact that she has ovarian cancer.

How can I best support her and her husband in this journey? Are there support groups for family?

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Bec,

Yes there are support groups for Ovarian Cancer. This site is one of them there is also the Cancer Council and some on Facebook.

You don't state if your sister has had her operation or is going through Chemo or finished it. There are many ways you can support her just by being there for her.....if she is having chemo go with her and sit play games or just read makes the time go faster. There will be days she just wants to be alone accept this its not any easy thing to comprehend. The biggest thing of all is ASK her we all feel that we can do this journey alone or don't want to burden others with anything. It's lovely to see that you will be there for her and her husband.

It's not any easy journey however its made easier with the love of family and friends.

• Hello Bec,

I’m sorry to hear about your sister. Just a note to let you know that Ovarian Cancer Australia also supports families of those with ovarian cancer.

We can arrange a Resilience Kit to be sent to you at home; this is a written resource with lots of reliable information, and women's stories. It also lists support groups we have on offer that you and your sister may be interested in. If you'd like this to be sent out to you at home you can order the kit online here; https://ovariancancer.net.au/shop/resources/resilience-kit/.

You can always contact our Phone and Email Information service on 1300 660 334 (during business hours) or via email at support@ovariancancer.net.au. Our support team is made up of nurses and counsellors with significant experience in women's health and can be a good place to seek further information or support services or just have a chat.

Warmest wishes,

Fiona

• Hi Bec,

I have been off line for a few months recovering from some treatment. Sorry to hear your sister has been diagnosed with OC.

The best way to support your sister is to be there for her. Cook some meals to freeze, do a bit of house work, put on a load of washing these are things that got on top of me when I was in full swing of treatment. Don't bring up her illness let her talk about it when she is ready. Don't tell her to be positive ever this is one of my pet hates.

I have been fighting OC for 25 years and I hate people telling me to stay positive it grates me....Depending on her treatment will dictate how sick she will feel. I found the smell of food cooking sometimes turned me off eating so sometimes it's better to be able to warm up a precooked meal. Your sister may get really angry and be pissed at everything and everyone the drugs have some interesting side effects on your mental health especially if she is on steroids, don't take it personally it's just the drugs.

I also recommend that you speak to your doctor as OC can be heraditary and you may need to have a few tests on a regular basis. CA125 is a test that is as a guide but this is not an accurate test as there is no test for this cancer.

Good luck hone for to you and your sister, Never give up hope, C=Challenge

Love and hugs to you all

Michelle xx

😊

Ricky
  • Hi Bec Ive had OC for almost 10 years and mine is a rare type . Do you know what type of OC your sister has because there are about 30 types. Treatments vary according to types of OC. One of my sisters or my daughter always came with me to my Oncology appointments to be another set of ears and support . That helped me immensely as Drs visits were always stressful and I often forget to ask all the questions I needed to ask. It also informed my family what was happening and they could also talk to the the doctor too. Hope this helps as emotions are like a roller coaster for all involved .