Private hospital/doctor recommendations in Melbourne

Hi,

My mum has recurrent stage 4 Ovarian/Peritoneal cancer and she's getting to the end of her treatment options at Peter Mac. So far she's had primary debulking and chemo, then an immunotherapy trial, and now PARP inhibitors. Her CA125 is starting to creep back up on the PARPs and she thinks that Peter Mac are going to throw the towel in soon, but she doesn't want to stop fighting.

So we're wondering if anyone has had a great experience with a private Gyno-Oncologist anywhere around Melbourne who she could consult with? Particularly any who have been willing to treat in ways that the public health system won't.

Thank you so much for your help and insights.

Comments

• Hi,

You could give Dr Lou Perrin based in Brisbane (Mater Private Hospital) he has been my oncoligist for the past 25 years. He will be able to recommend someone in Melbourne I'm sure. Dr Perrin is one of the best in QLD Gyno/oncoligist. Finding a Dr who will work outside the medical guidelines will be very difficult to find if there are any at all. Due to the strict medical guidelines and consequences that could occur you may find this request difficult.I have been fighting Ovarian Cancer for the past 25 + years. I have tried many tried and tested and new medical treatments as well as alternate ones. So far nothing has ever worked to get rid of the cancer. I currently use Mariuana OIl and CBD capsules they are govt. approved in QLD. The oil removes all the pain and no side affects except a nice feeling. The CBD is believed to help with the cancer don't think anything has been proven with this yet. Currently I'm using keytruda immunotherapy. I have had to pay $100,000 which I raised with the help of many friends and businesses. I don't have a remission but so far it has been controlling the disease. If you have a really good oncologist this will help ease your anxiety. Have you tried the Olivia Newton John Wellness Centre it is probably one of the best cancer places in Melbourne. I also moved into the private health system as I had similar concerns as you.

Probably the most important thing I can say is live in the moment. Life is so short regardless of weather you are diagnosed with an illness. Once the moment passes you can never get it back. Be mindful of everything you do the and think. Don't spent too much time waiting for tomorrow just get on with the living. This is something I'm very conscious and mindful of.

I have also been involved with the Icon Cancer Care. These places have a range of oncoligists who are all highly trained. Icon is privately owned so you need private medical to see the Drs or pay a lot of money. I personally don't like Icon due to the way they treat the patients. I have spent over 3 hours waiting for the Dr or a chair to become vacant so I can start treatment. NOT my favourite choice for treatment. They DO have fantastic Dr's.

Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness & Research Centre

Cancer treatment center in Heidelberg, Victoria

Address: 145 Studley Rd, Heidelberg VIC 3084

Phone: (03) 9496 5000

Epworth Freemasons (Albert Street)

AddressLower Ground, 124 Grey St, East Melbourne VIC 3002

Closes 5PM

Phone(03) 9483 3331

I have included a couple of numbers for the treatment places I mentioned.

Located in: Epworth Freemasons (Albert Street)

AddressLower Ground, 124 Grey St, East Melbourne VIC 3002

Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 5PM

Phone(03) 9483 3331

Sending lots of hugs to you and your mum. xx PS Never give up hope

Michelle