Avastin. Not on PBS after a year

I have stage 4 which is under control following debulking surgery, chemo and avastin. After February i am advised that to stay on this blood blocker maintenance, i will have to pay $2,200 every 3 weeks, just to stay well. To Roche.

I am not being offered alternatives, compassionate access, nothing. I have to stay well for as long as i can. To be on nothing is not an option for me. I am not BRCA1 OR 2 yet i cannot access anything for maintenance that is wirhin reach. Surely there are more choices or options than this?????? How is this fair or reasonable? I feel more stressed and scared than when i was first diagnosed and i feel i am being spat out of the system.

Comments

• Hi Sue,

I understand your frustration and anger regarding treatment. I can only advise that you speak to your Oncologist and GP re the cost of the Avastin surely there are options available to you, especially as you are Stage 4 and need it as maintenance I also suggest that you contact OCA and speak to one of their councillors or the Cancer Council as they both have great resources and a wealth of information that may assist you. Stay positive hopefully you will receive advise that will assist you.

Chris

Suetrainor
  • Thanks chris. My oncologist was very closed and unreceprive which really upset me to be honest. I am seeking another opinion because of this.

chrishayward