Hello, it's Karen :)

edited December 2019 in Welcome & Orientation

Hello there, I'm Karen!

Lovely to meet you!  If you are on this forum, then you, like me, have been touched by ovarian cancer in some way.

I am 48 years young and was diagnosed with oc back in September 2014.  After surgery to remove my 11cm x 10cm tumour (clear cell carcinoma) and a total hysterectomy, I had six months of chemotherapy (Carboplatin and Taxol).  I was very fortunate that I was diagnosed at an early stage and to this day, I am cancer free.

I have been down the genetic testing road and have been diagnosed with Lynch Syndrome. Lynch syndrome is an inherited genetic mutation which gives people an increased chance of developing certain cancers (including ovarian) across their lifetime, often at a younger age than the general population (i.e. before 50 years of age).

I am extremely passionate about raising awareness about the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer, because I do not want anyone to have to endure what I and my family and friends did. I am also passionate about helping others who have been touched by this disease. Ovarian Cancer Australia were an invaluable resource to me following my diagnosis and I am thrilled that this forum has been established, so that they can increase their reach and help those in need of support, during a very difficult time.

So, that's me in a nutshell!  If you have any questions at all, please ask. =o)