Hello

edited December 2019 in Welcome & Orientation

hi everyone, I was diagnosed in 2013 stage 4, finished treatment Oct 2013 and reoccurrence in June 2014 and started clinical trial at RMH on Orlaprib Sept 2014.

just wondering if anyone else is on this drug if so what side effects have you had, I've had lowered potassium and magnesium levels, and for the past year my red blood cells have been increasing in size.

also I have been diagnosed with the PALB2 gene any one else also got this gene?

warm regards,

cheryl

Comments

• Hi Cheryl

Have you checked out Helen's post?

Best wishes

Rachel

• Orlaprib is a targeted therapy. This means only the cancer cells are attacked and divided; not the normal cells. This leads to less side effects and a quicker recovery from treatment.

PALB2 gene is also associated with breast cancer, if you have this gene there is an increased risk of developing breast Cancer. Do you have a history in your family? And Iam sure your doctor probably has sent you for tests/mammogram as well to assure no breast involvement.

Jules

• Hi Cheryl,

I have been on Olaparib for nearly a year now.  I had a bit of nausea at first, however anti nausea drugs seemed to help that, I don't have any nausea now.  Like you I am low in magnesium and I have to take magnesium tablets to help this.  My potassium levels are ok.  I think it is really great how you are monitored, with blood tests and scans while you are on these trials and if there are any issues they can be resolved with your doctor.  It is interesting that your red blood levels seemed to have increased, as mine did the opposite and sometimes I had to have a break of a week from the trial drugs.  Perhaps it may be worth while finding out more about your red cells increase, at your next trial appointment.  The only other side affect I have is being a bit more tired, however I am now retired so am very fortunate to be able to have quiet catch up days.  I am not familiar with the PALB gene fault.  Have you checked out if there are any websites or support groups for this?  I know the BRAC 1 and 2 gene faults have a support group.  The Olaparib drug must be working for you as you have been on it now for over 2 years.  I find it is so much easier to tolerate than chemo.

Take care

Helen

• Hello everyone!

My name is Wendy

It's so nice to find a forum of women living and dealing with ovarian cancer. I have recently had a successful laparoscopic surgery for a recurrence. Looking forward to chatting with members of this community.

Cheers

Wendy