Hello

Hello, My name is Megan, I am 50 years old. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer  stage 2c in December, 2015. I feel like my world has completely changed colour since that date.

I had what I now realise was all the classic ovarian cancer symptoms, bloated tummy, tummy pain, needing to go to the toilet more frequently and urgently. After putting off going to my doctor for many weeks I could no longer ignore my symptoms  so I made an appointment to see my local GP. She felt my stomach and could feel a mass so sent me for a scan. Although the man scanning me didn't say anything specific I could tell that he had found something.

Going back to my GP the next day she told me they had found an 18cm mass on my ovary, so she was trying to book me in to see a gynalogocal oncologist.

Thankfully a friend I had grown with was a top gynalogical oncologist so I went to see her the following week. She put together a wonderful team of doctors to perform my surgery. I felt in very safe hands.

Surgery took place the following Saturday, so it was all very quick from finding the mass to surgery.

The operation took 8 hours and they took both ovaries, my uterus, part of my bowel and my fat sack. I had a temporary stint in my bladder (6weeks) and I had a Stoma bag fitted to give my bowel time to recover. This was reversed at the end of my chemo treatment. I feel very grateful that this has happened in my life at a time when I have my children, I really feel how unfair it would be for young women to get ovarian cancer.

Its been 3 months since my chemo finished and two months since the Stoma reversal. My final scan showed I was clear of cancer.

My scars still feel tender, I still get so fatigued often of an afternoon and of an evening, and after I exercise my muscles ache.Sometimes I wonder if I will ever feel just normal again. Part of me wants to know what the future will hold, but mostly I think I prefer to have my head in the sand ... Regarding possible recurrences in the future... I think I prefer not to know what could happen next.

Comments

• Hi Megan

Welcome to our group. It sounds like so much has happened in such a short space of time. It took me until a while after all the drama finished before I could start processesing how I felt. Initially you are so busy with appointments and physically healing that the emotions seem to be shoved to the background. I'm scared of the the thought of recurrences too but so far (two years) all is good.

• Hi Rachel,

yes I just feel like I am coming out the other side after a very intense 9 months.

Two years and no recurrence, that's wonderful. Is there anything that you feel made a difference to your recovery?

Megan

• I was lucky in that I was being monitored for uterine cancer when the OC was noticed. It was caught at 1A so hopefully the surgeries will be the end of it for me (fingers crossed).

The surgeries themselves and the emotional rollercoaster of a cancer diagnosis have been hard to get over and making some major life changes have helped me. In some ways I was changed anyway, I cared much less about some of the BS at work and things that would have had me in tears before just left me feeling frustrated. I'm not sure if that was burn out or just feeling the need to get on with the important stuff and not muck around with the office politics and pettiness that can sometimes creep in when staff are under pressure.

• Hi Megan ?

What an intense and challenging time you have been through ??

I too am 50. I have felt that adjusting to life after cancer and chemo one of the trickiest parts of the process. I certainly don't 'sweat the small stuff' these days and feel an even closer connection with my family.

Finding a balance between keeping busy (it helps me to feel engaged with the world around me) but taking the time to 'smell the roses' a little elusive at times. I hope that it gets easier with the passage of time.

Cheers

Christine