I'd like to thin I'm a bit of an expert at recovering from surgery, I always manage to get out of hospital before my doctor's predicted date.
Here are my tips for surgery:
1. Walk, walk, walk. As soon as you can get out of that bed and walk. You can feel yourself healing.
2. Do your breathing and coughing exercises after surgery. They hurt but are worth it.
3. Take your own pillow!!! Hospital pillows are hideous.
4. Find a good belly pillow. If you need to cough of sneeze, hold this against your belly for support. If you need to lie on your side, put it under your belly for support like when you were pregnant.
5. Posture! As soon as you sit up, roll your shoulders back and keep your back straight. You automatically slouch after surgery and if you do this you will have back problems.
6. Invest in heat packs. You'll need them because your back and stomach muscles are going to be sore
7. Research good scar treatment creams and gels. When everything has healed, start treating your scars as soon as possible to soften them and minimise pulling.
8. As soon as you're recovered take up something like yoga or Pilates to build up your core strength and develop impressive abs.
9. And keep walking.
Thats all I can think of now.